Nothing refreshes like cold soup in the summer.
Elegant and light, cold soup won’t weigh you down. It is ideal for lunch or an easy, breezy supper.
I love the orange notes in this one, thanks to the orange juice and zest. I also like that, if I am in a time crunch, I can use superior quality jarred roasted peppers and canned tomatoes. Gotta love that.
I do hope you enjoy the recipe. And here are more yummy cold soups to try this summer:
Stay cool and enjoy! -alyce photo: fulton davenport
- 6 roasted red bell peppers (or (1) 13 oz. jar)
- 6 plum tomatoes (or (1) 35 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- zest & juice of 1 orange
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- sour cream
- Char the peppers over a gas flame or under the broiler until completely blackened. Place the peppers in a bowl covered with plastic for 10 minutes. Peel and seed.
- Combine the red peppers, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, orange zest and juice, and the garlic cloves in a blender. Blend well.
- Toast the cumin in a small pan over medium heat until fragrant. Add the cumin to the blender. Blend well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chilled with a dollop of sour cream if desired.