And for the weekend, we have a cookie.
But not just any cookie, this is a delicate, buttery cookie that lends itself well to native-Texas pecans and local honey.
photo: fulton davenport
Recipe Type: cookie
These cookies are very fragile and are best served in cupcake liners. Yields 2 dozen.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup corn oil
- ⅓ cup sugar
- zest of ½ orange
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- Honey Syrup:
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Slowly add the oil and then the sugar while beating. Add the orange zest and mix well.
- In a small bowl, sift together the baking powder, baking soda and the flour. Slowly add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl with the butter/oil mixture while beating on low speed. The dough should be firm enough to hold its shape. Add more flour if necessary.
- Shape teaspoon size balls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the cookies are firm and golden. Cool on wire racks. For the syrup, boil the honey, sugar and water for 3 minutes. Once the cookies have cooled, drizzle each one with the honey syrup and immediately sprinkle with the pecans.