Here’s a chance to enjoy the earthy, meaty umami of mushrooms in a pizza. Finish this pizza with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan, as well as fresh mint if you have some on hand. Pair it with Caesar salad or this green salad.
The pizza dough recipe is here. Enjoy! -alyce
photo: fulton davenport
- 3 Tblsp olive oil
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, stemmed and chopped
- 2 oz. prosciutto, torn into pieces
- 1 handful baby arugula or baby spinach
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Dough for one pizza
- One hour before cooking, place your pizza stone in the oven on the top shelf and preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- In a large saute pan, warm the olive oil and saute the mushrooms and rosemary until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from the heat. Add the prosciutto and arugula (or spinach) and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll and press the dough into a 12-inch circle. place it on your cornmeal-sprinkled pizza peel or pan for topping and baking. (I like to gently rub a little olive oil all over the crust and sprinkle with salt.) Spoon the mushroom/prosciutto/arugula mixture evenly on the pizza.
- Slide the pizza from the peel onto the stone using short, jerky motions. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.