As I was eating an orange from my Farmhouse Delivery bushel this week, it reminded me of a recipe for oranges in ginger-cinnamon syrup.
What a great end to a meal to celebrate Chinese New Year, which is coming up on February 10. This a big week by the way, as Mardi Gras is February 12 and Valentine’s Day follows on Friday.
I like that this dish is light, yet sweet and satifying. Sometimes I want that in a dessert. Especially this week with food-centric holidays, best to keep things light, at least to start.
photo: fulton davenport
- 8 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 inch piece of ginger, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ cup Cointreau
- mint for garnish
- Combine water, sugar, ginger and cinnamon stick in a medium pot. Heat gently until sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes, remove from heat, add the Coinreau and let cool completely. Remove the ginger and the cinnamon stick.
- Pour syrup over orange slices in a shallow dish and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Serve slightly chilled, garnished with mint.