Some chilly weather here in Texas. I think last night it even dipped into the upper 30s.
You know what that means — soup.
Enjoy these seasonal flavors and stay warm! -alyce eyster
Photo: Fulton Davenport
- 2 Tblsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1tsp. cinnamon
- 3 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups cream
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- Chipotle Crema:
- 1 cup Mexican Cream
- 1 tsp chipotle Chile
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Add the cinnamon and stir to release aroma.
- Add the squash, chicken stock and cream. Simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes. Add the nutmeg.
- Let the soup cool slightly. In a blender, puree the soup in small batches. You may add water if the soup is too thick at this point.
- Return the soup to the pot, warm through and season with salt and pepper.
- Chipotle Crema: Puree the crema and chipotle in a food processor until completely combined. Serve each bowl of soup with a dollop of the crema.