Today’s recipe features a springtime staple, leg of lamb. I love the herby flavors in this recipe. Enjoy! -alyce
photo: fulton davenport
Roast Leg of Lamb with Spring Herbs
Recipe Type: entree
- 1 boneless leg of lamb, 4 to 5 lbs.
- 6 cloves garlic, cut into lengthwise slivers
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried lavender leaves
- 2 Tblsp parsley, chopped
- 2 Tblsp thyme, chopped
- 2 Tblsp basil, chopped
- 1 Tblsp rosemary, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the lamb on a rack in a roasting pan. Use a paring knife to make small slits all over the lamb. Place the garlic slivers in the slits.
- Place the bay leaves, fennel seeds and lavender in a spice mill or coffee grinder and grind to a powder.
- Combine the herb powder, fresh herbs, olive oil and salt and pepper to form a paste.
- Rub the paste over the entire leg of lamb and roast for 40 to 50 minutes. A meat thermometer placed in the center of the lamb should read 135 degrees F - 145 degrees F for medium rare.
- Let the lamb rest for 10 minutes before carving.