It’s Spring Break, and although winter is nearly over, I’ve been inspired by seasonal greens lately.
I made this recipe last week, and it is super-easy and adaptable. Here are a few tips.
Be sure to not let the spinach spend too much time in the pan. And if the radicchio is too bitter for you or your kids, just go with more spinach, or try kale. You can also switch out the acid by adding a splash of Sherry wine vinegar instead of balsamic.
Top it with a piece of roasted salmon, or your favorite fish, and you’ve got some major brain food to enjoy.
- 4 Tblsp olive oil
- 4 Tblsp pine nuts
- 2 lbs. spinach, washed and tough stems removed
- 1 large head radicchio, covered and white part removed
- 2 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep pot.
- Add the pine nuts and stir until browned.
- Add the spinach and radicchio and stir until gently wilted.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and toss well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Photo: Fulton Davenport