Party Time: Cinco de Mayo
What better excuse for a party than Cinco de Mayo? My thoughts immediately turn to a cold margarita and spicy eats. Here’s a a low-maintenance menu for a cocktail party style gathering with substantial food. No time to get it together for Cinco de Mayo? It makes a great party any time of year.
Empanadas (You could easily sub tamales here.)
Tortilla Chips & Three Dips: Salsa, Guacamole & Pico de Gallo
Queso Especial with Chips
Shrimp & Crab ”Ceviche” with Cilantro & Mango
Field Greens Salad with Oranges, Green Onions & Toasted Pecans
I’ve provided links to some of the recipes, and the recipe for the margaritas follows. The margies are great to keep in your freezer for impromptu gatherings.
Guacamole – Keep it simple. I hand-mash with salt, a hint of garlic and a bit of lime.
Queso Especial is the standard Velveeta and Rotel, but doctored with chopped red onion, fresh cilantro and a bit of chorizo.
The salad is just as it sounds: field greens with segmented oranges, chopped green onion and toasted pecans. I make a simple dressing of lemon juice, Dijon, honey, garlic and olive oil.
Mariachis would be a special treat, but if your budget doesn’t allow live music, then download mariachis, Tejano music and Mexican tunes (the soundtrack to Frida is a favorite.) onto your Ipod.
Purchase your favorite bottled salsa and look for freshly packaged pico de gallo in the produce departement of your grocery store.
Use a good quality bottled salad dressing.
Enjoy. -alyce eyster
- 2 large frozen minute maid limeades (thawed)
- 2 large frozen minute maid lemonades (thawed)
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- Big bottle of tequila (the one with the handle)
- ½ bottle triple sec (the bottle that is about the size of a wine bottle)
- 1 gallon water
- Mix all ingredients in a 33 cup rubbermaid container and stir. Freeze overnight. (Sometimes it takes 2 days to freeze, so think ahead.) When ready to serve, blend, pour into a salt rimmed glass and finish with a squeeze of lime. Salud.
- Mix all ingredients in a 33 cup rubbermaid container and stir. Freeze overnight. (Sometimes it takes 2 days to freeze, so think ahead.)
- When ready to serve, blend, pour into a salt rimmed glass and finish with a squeeze of lime. Salud.